Quick Facts About Brushing Your Teeth
- The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice a day for two minutes with fluoride toothpaste.
- Dentists recommend putting your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums as you brush.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months. When bristles become frayed and worn, they are less effective at cleaning teeth.
- Both electric and manual toothbrushes can effectively and thoroughly clean teeth. People who have a hard time using a manual toothbrush may find that an electric toothbrush is easier to use. Your dentist can help you decide which type is best for you.
- Nobody knows who invented toothpaste. However, we do know that a Greek physician named Hippocrates advised people to “wash their teeth” and offered recipes for creating something like toothpaste in the 4th-5th century.
- The toothbrush has been around for 500 years! According to a 17th century encyclopedia drawing, the toothbrush was invented in 1498 in China. The nylon-bristled toothbrush that we use today was introduced in 1938.
When shopping for a new toothbrush, look for those that display the ADA Seal of Acceptance